NTSB research shows that driver fatigue is a significant factor in approximately 20% of commercial road transport crashes and over 50% of long haul drivers have fallen asleep at the wheel. If we translate that to Koleaseco, that means over 50 of our drivers have fallen asleep at the wheel during some point in their driving career.
Learn to recognize the signs of fatigue.
- You keep yawning, day-dreaming, wandering in your lane
- Your reactions unintentionally speeding up or slowing down.
- You feel stiff and your eyes feel heavy
- You wander over the center line or on to the edge of the road
- You don't remember driving the last few miles, or cannot remember the last few minutes or seconds
- You have trouble keeping your eyes moving to check your mirrors
If you see any of these when you are driving, don't wait. Pull over to the next safe place and take a break. Be sure to communicate with dispatch if this will cause any delays with your load.