Getting Out And Looking around (G.O.A.L.) the truck is essential to safely back the truck up. But it is also essential for a safe and successful trip and you perform it more often than you may realize. For example:
- A pre-trip inspection is simply a GOAL that looks at the truck itself to ensure it is mechanically sound to drive.
- When you couple a trailer to the tractor you GOAL to ensure the trailer is properly connected to the fifth wheel.
- If you run over an object on the road you have to GOAL to inspect the tires, tandems, air lines, and the engine.
- If you have a clearance issue in a city you creep up to a log bridge and if needed GOAL to check the height.
- Before departing a truck stop you GOAL just to make sure there are no hazards around you.
GOAL isn't just for backing up, it is essential to operating a truck safely in many instances.
How many can you come up with?